Monday, April 15, 2013

The Source of Anger

Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end. Proverbs 29:11 (NIV)

In his 1902 writing As a Man Thinketh, James Allen wrote, “Circumstance does not make the man; it reveals him to himself.”  If understood, this quote could change the way we view anger.  That is, the circumstances in our lives and the people around us do not create the anger or rage that is within us; instead, they reveal what is already there.  Therefore we can no longer blame others or the circumstances in our lives for our hostile responses or nasty outbursts.

It is common, however, for us to do exactly that – to blame others, whether a spouse, a boss, a client, a child, or even God Himself.  We usually do this by essentially saying if they had not done this, we would not be so angry.  The truth of the matter is that they are not the source of our anger.  Usually the source stems from failed expectations, frustrations or fears.  As I think over my life, I can see one of these three things being the true source of my anger.  Unfortunately for the people who were around me at those times, I did not realize this then, else my responses would have been different – as they are now.  For example, my sister made a comment.  A few years ago, my response would have been negative.  But now, because I understand who I am and why her comment caused me to feel a certain way, the conversation did not take a turn for the worse.  Instead I remained calm, and we were able to talk our way through it.

Today - if you are angry - pray that God reveal the source of your anger.  Ask Him to heal and help you take responsibility for fears, failures or frustrations that has caused you to response negatively to yourself, others or even to Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment