Saturday, March 2, 2013

Step Back and Listen



So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear,  slow to speak,  slow to wrath; (James 1:19 NKJV)

While my son was a baby, whenever he wanted something, he would cry out and for a while I couldn't understand what he wanted and it frustrated me.  It would bother me to the point to where I would find myself yelling at him out of frustration.  There were times where he would cry because he was hungry, there were times he cried because he was sleepy or he was scared and only wanted me to pick him up, but because I was quick to anger, quick to speak and slow to listen, I lashed out in my frustration.  Crying was his only form of communication and I didnt speak that language, but as I grew in my role as a parent, I learned to step back and listen.  When I stepped back to listen, I paid close attention to the entire scene of the situation and as a result, I was able to discern what he wanted.

One of the easiest ways to get you to slip and to fall into sin is to get you to act out of anger. Consumed with anger it is nearly impossible to think clearly and respond in love. Today, before you react to that thing that tweaks you the wrong way, step back, be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger and you will increase your ability to respond in love. 





Much love

No comments:

Post a Comment