Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Stand Against Evil



Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes
Ephesians 6:12 NIV

The devil exists.  Evil exists - even though many don’t believe it.  The Western mindset says that the world’s atrocities are somehow derived out of psychological or sociological issues rather than evil.  I’m not saying there are not some who are dysfunctional and need counseling.  There are.  What I’m saying is that having a horrible childhood, being uneducated or playing a violent video game are not origins of evil.  Those things can aggravate and accentuate – but they don’t create.

Consider the opposite.  Instead of saying a movie caused me to kill someone - what if I said a movie caused me to be saved?  What if I pointed out the crewmember, actor, director or producer who restored my relationship with God?  What if I could fast forward to the exact scene in which my sins were forgiven?  What if I stopped worshiping God and started worshiping this movie?  Why not?  It is the source of my salvation.

Sound outrageous?  It should.  A movie cannot replace the work of Jesus on the cross – nor can it replace the evil found in the hearts of a murderer, rapist or bigot.  It is absurd to think we can take the results of what is obviously spiritual and attempt to root them in carnality.  Today let us face the fact that evil exists.   We need not deny it or be afraid of it.  God has already given us the power and authority to successfully stand against it.



No comments:

Post a Comment