Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Time for Solitude




Mark 1:35 “And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.

Solitude is being alone on purpose. Loneliness happens to you. A child who can’t find friends to play with, a rejected lover, a new person in town—these can be lonely situations. In contrast, solitude is something you choose. When I put on my running shoes and head out the door, I am choosing to be alone. I am looking forward to the benefits that come from the exercise and the opportunity to let my mind roam free as I pass by the trees, listen to birds and observe the beauty of God’s creation. I am alone, but I am not lonely.

Jesus chose a location and a time of the day that was free from distractions and quiet to meet with the Father. He valued this time so much that he arose a great while before day and he went out to a solitary place.  His quiet time with the Father prepared him for what he was to face that day. 

We don’t know what the day will hold for us but we can spend time with the one that holds our days. If Jesus saw it as a priority to depart into a solitary place and pray, how much more do we need that precious time with the Father?  It is during these times that He will enlighten, refresh and empower us for that day. This is the day that He has made and He is ready to give you new mercies. (Psa 118:24; Lam 3:22-23) So set as a priority for yourself a time for solitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment