Saturday, June 1, 2013

Who's the BOSS


Whoever has no rule over his own spirit is like a city broken down, without walls. - Proverbs 25:28 

After reflecting on this scripture, I’m reminded of a story. A family bought a luxury car, which the father loved. One day at a gas station the parents left their 3 year old son in the car, securing the doors.  While alone in the car, the child found a marker and began writing on the car. Upon returning, the enraged father, started hitting the child in his hands with great force, repeating “you’re going to learn your lesson.”  He beat his son to the point he had to take him to the hospital.
At the hospital, the parents were notified by the doctor, their son’s hands had been crippled and required amputation. Finding his father in the room in tears, the three year old looked up laughing and said “Hi Daddy, I learned my lesson, can I have my hands back.”
Your story may not be as graphic or extreme, but this story shows how the simplest thing can escalate into something of great magnitude and consequence.  Often times it may be as simple as not doing something we should be doing, because we don’t feel like it.  An inability to control our emotions will render us vulnerable to the enemy’s attacks with no way of defending ourselves, consequently resulting in our destruction.  Today I challenge you to reflect on your life and ask yourself the question, who is in control, me or my emotions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment