Monday, June 10, 2013

Who's at your door?

Genesis 4:6-7 (NKJV)
So the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it?”

I can remember when I was younger, I absolutely loved to have company, as soon as I would see someone pulling up at the house or hear doorbell ring, and I was standing by for company to come in.  We were very restricted and I knew whenever someone would come, it would open the opportunity for us to be able to do something.  Depending who was outside the door, determined if we were able to go outside and play.  If it was someone my parents didn’t agree with, we couldn’t go.  When some people would come around, my parents would even go as far as to telling us not to go to the door.  As a child I didn’t understand why we couldn’t play with certain people, however as I grew older, I began to understand all company isn’t good company.  Cain and Able both gave God an offering, with Cain’s offering God was displeased and as a result Cain grew angry.  In response to Cain’s anger God gave Cain a bit of advice (Genesis 4:7), but what stood out the most for me was the “c” portion of the verse, God said “sin lies at the door. And its desires is for you, but you should rule over it.”

                Bad company will all ways appear and in its appearance, it desires pull us from wherever we are, to rest where it is.  At the door of Cain’s heart was the spirit of anger, and instead of Cain listening to the voice of God telling him how to overcome its sinful desire, he kept company with it, ultimately resulting in him killing his younger brother.  There are many different desires that seek to influence us to oppose God, but even though those desire are present, God declares we have the authority within us to rule over those desires.  Today I challenge you to stand on the authority you have over all sinful desires and declare you will rule over it, it will not rule over you and watch and see how much stronger you grow in the spirit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment