Friday, November 22, 2013

Tired of Winning?


But David said …, “Your servant has been keeping his father’s sheep.  When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth.  When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it.  Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, because he has defiled the armies of the living God.  The Lord who rescued me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will rescue me from the hand of this Philistine.”  … Samuel 17:34-37 (NIV)

The historical account of David and Goliath is a classic underdog story.  David, a seemingly inexperienced young shepherd boy, fighting an experienced warrior, who is also a giant, named Goliath.  From a physical standpoint, who could have ever imaged that the shepherd boy would actually end up winning the flight?  He did though.  Despite discouraging and insults words and fearful threats from others, David placed all his trust in God and came out to be victorious in the end.

Although the underdog quality about David is inspiriting, something else caught my attention.  David encountered a lion and then a bear and now he must face a giant.  Some time ago, I fought a proverbial lion and a proverbial bear.  I thought, “Finally, I can rest”, but then a giant appeared.  I said to God, “I’m tired”.  Then God enlightened me as I read the above scripture.  Saying “I’m tired of fighting” is the same as saying, “I’m tired of winning”.  Wow!  David wasn't tired of winning, so he wasn't tired of fighting.

Today, let us remember nothing we go through is larger than God, and it is in God that we continuously have victory over everything we go through.  So let’s not get tired of doing what is good.  At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9 (NLT).


No comments:

Post a Comment