Friday, November 15, 2013

Embrace Your Weaknesses


Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.  2 Corinthians 12:8-10 (NLT)

I was once told, “Never admit your weaknesses because other people would use them against you”.  I started practicing what I had been taught – until one day God revealed something to me.  Not admitting my weaknesses didn’t hide them from others nor did it prevent others from hurting me.  In fact, when we are unable to admit our weaknesses, it is not to protect us from others, but instead it is to protect us from ourselves.  Simply put – it’s a pride thing.  And God’s grace doesn’t work in our pride; it only works in our humility.  Paul said that he gladly admits his weaknesses, because in doing so it revealed his strength through God’s grace.

A friend of mine reminded me of a conversation we once had.  She was telling me about how she was sick of forgiving people, people who no one else would even consider forgiving.  Then God’s grace was revealed.  God used me to show her that what she had considered to be weak was really strong.  Who else but through God’s power, love, and kindness can any one of us forgive someone else – especially someone who doesn’t even deserve it?  I can only think that if it wasn’t but for the love of God who died for us when we were yet in sin, we would never be so strong to be able to forgive others.

Today, embrace your weaknesses, and in doing so – embrace God’s grace - what may seem to be weak, it actually strong.


No comments:

Post a Comment