Friday, August 2, 2013

Grace Under Fire



Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.” And they were amazed at him. Mark 12:17 (NIV)

When I look at my life, it is amazing to me how far I have grown in God.  There was once a time when every ill-willed act against me was met with an ill-willed response.  I do believe you know what I mean - where fire is met with fire, and grace is nowhere to be found.  I would marvel over those who showed grace in their mannerisms towards those who wished, hoped and even schemed for their demise.  I thought, "That could never be me".  Now I really don't know when it happened, but I do know that it has - I am now starting to change, and show grace under fire.

In our scripture for today, Jesus was in total control when responding to what was supposed to have been a trap.  In other words, he showed grace under fire.  The Pharisees and Herodians wanted to trap Jesus in committing blasphemy.  They asked if it was lawful for a Jew to pay taxes to Roman.  That is to say - who was the ultimate authority in his life, Caesar or God?  Jesus asked whose image was on the money for paying taxes.  They said Caesar's.  So Jesus responded give back to Caesar what was Caesar's (taxes, the money that had his face on it) and to God what was God's (tithes, praise and worship).

Today let us practice grace under fire.  When someone comes at us with the wrong intentions – let us not respond with harshness, but let us respond with grace - be in control, be direct and leave them amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment