Friday, January 3, 2014

Good Gifts


Would any of you give your hungry child a stone, if the child asked for some bread?  Would you give your child a snake if the child asked for a fish?  As bad as you are, you still know how to give good gifts to your children.  But your heavenly Father is even more ready to give good things to people who ask. (Matthew 7:9-11, CEV)

I was taught growing up never to give anything that I would not want for myself.  This was ingrained in me.  So I am always mindful of what I give to others, whether in a form of words, deeds or actual gifts.  For example, I periodically go through my house, seeing what I should keep, give away or throw away.  Some people call this “spring” cleaning.  In the “to keep” pile are things that I currently use or need.  In the “give away” pile are things I would keep, if I still had the need for them.  In the “throw away” pile are things that are broken, worn down, snagged or ripped – and therefore not wanted or needed and would never even consider to give away.  In other words, I check out the quality of the item before giving it to someone else.

In Matthew 7:9-11 Jesus is speaking about giving good gifts.  Based on the content, he is actually speaking about the quality of the gift.  In other words, a good gift is one of good quality and of good use.  A stone and a snake are of no use or of good quality for a hungry child, but bread and fish are.  Likewise, when I’m during my “spring cleaning”, a torn shirt and a broken chair are of no use or of good quality for anyone - not for myself or someone else.

Today, let us be mindful of what we are giving to others.  Let us give good gifts - kind and encouraging words as well as deeds that actually meet the needs of others.


No comments:

Post a Comment