Friday, July 26, 2013

Want to Win?


Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! 1 Corinthians 9:24 (NLT)

Some friends and I were recently discussing if winning should be the main focus in playing games or sports.  One person argued that camaraderie and the spirit of “just having a good time” should be the main focus.  You may respond to that like I did – “I don’t think so!”  Let’s face it – who really wants to lose?  Who really wants to come in last place?  If you’re not playing to win, why play at all?  Or, using Paul’s analogy, if you’re not running to win, why run at all?

Winning starts with a desire to win.  That is, to win, you have to first want to win.  I remember playing spades with my great-aunt.  She showed me no mercy.  She never let me win.  After learning how to strategize and years of playing others – I finally defeated her.  It wasn’t an easy win, but it was a satisfying one.  And it all started with a desire to win.  Similarly, Paul tells us to run to win!  The race he speaks of isn’t a game or a sport, but it refers to our dedication, faithfulness and servitude to God.

Today let us want to win.  Let us desire to win.  Let us understanding that pursuing God and the things of God is not only a race worth running but it also a race worth winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment